Wednesday 20 February 2013

Sun! Sun! Sun!

Another slow news day, so I will talk about that old standby - the weather.

The 10 day weather forecast for Nelson is for sun, sun and more sun, with temperatures up to 26 degrees.



26 degrees may not seem overly hot, but the sun is more intense in New Zealand than in Canada, with higher UV indexes, meaning that you burn much faster.  I have to re-apply sunscreen every hour or I burn badly, and leaving my head with its thinning hair exposed, results in my scalp getting burned really quickly.

Supposedly there are three reasons why you burn faster in New Zealand -
  • The ozone is thinner.
  • The earth's orbit takes the southern hemisphere closer to the sun in summer than the northern hemisphere.
  • Less pollution means more UV gets through.
It is therefore no surprise that New Zealand has the highest incidence of melanoma skin cancer in the world.

Despite the heat I still managed over 24,000 steps yesterday, so I am not getting much of a reprieve. We walked up the valley to check for more mushrooms, but only found 4 which garnished our dinner tonight. 

We finished the day with a Penang curry at a local Thai restaurant, Chokdee, which was very enjoyable.



Today we had a quieter day, with coffee at the Suter Art Gallery, where we sat on the patio overlooking a park and pond.  Then Marlene headed off to get her hair cut and I spent some time at the local library.

But hey, it can't be exciting every day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment