Wednesday 19 February 2014

Te Anau to Gore

Today was a travel day with not too much to report. 

We left Te Anau around 10 AM heading to Gore which is only about 140 Km away. We had a brief stop in Lumsden for me to participate in a work related call and meanwhile the ladies walked Main Street and had a coffee at a local cafe (such hardship).  

Between Lumsden and Gore we stopped at a roadside picnic area and enjoyed our sandwiches beside a stream. 

Gore was a pleasant surprise. It is a river city and according to the signs it is the "Brown Trout Fishing Capital of the World" and "New Zealand's Country Music Capital" not that either really appeal to me. 


It was a very warm afternoon with sunny skies and the temperature above 30 C. We walked along the river into town and checked out a few stores, most important for me was getting a screwdriver to fix my $10 glasses. The screwdriver cost me $10, so now I have a $20 pair of glasses, that don't fall off my nose when I look down.  

It was too hot to cook so we dined on deli ham, pineapple, potatoes and salad. 

The plan for tomorrow is to check out the art gallery, visit an ex-work colleague of Margaret's at Tapanui School, then on to Cromwell, keeping our eyes open for fresh fruit along the way. 

Hopefully there will be more news to report tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment